TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Please reply and tell us how much money you can spend on
People Seeking Info

Subject Please reply and tell us how much money you can spend on

Posted by Zuberman on March 15, 2015 at 8:25 AM
  This message has been viewed 279 times.

In Reply To Learn How to do Maintenance? posted by hcaulfield57 on March 15, 2015 at 01:41 AM

Message tools?
If you're really serious about doing your own vehicle maintenance, repair and upgrades, don't buy cheap tools.
Example of myself: bought a jack from 'China' Freight and it turned into a piece of ____ way too quickly.
Bought one of those low-saddle, aluminum jobs from Sears/Craftsman and it lost pressure almost immediately.
Bought one from NAPA, works great and did cost more money.
I don't know what I would do without my air-compressor and air-tools, but then I'm older and not a big guy.
Research your car, read about it, research your car, read about it...................TO INFINITY!
If you're not willing to sit down and research and read, just hang it up now, dude.
Learn to R&R (remove & replace) your wheels.
Learn to change your oil & oil-filter. Be careful that the old oil-filter gasket doesn't stay stuck to the oil-filter mount.
Have a pal or your mom around just in case the car falls on you.
Learn the tricks, like using your foot on the breaker-bar to loosen that stubborn lug-nut, or putting the breaker-bar at the 5 o'clock position of the wheel, handle to the ground, and gently rolling the car back to break the lug-nut loose.
DON'T over-tighten things! Believe me, I know :( And get a nice torque-wrench or two depending on their ranges.
Always torque your lug-nuts to the factory spec to avoid warping your brake-rotors.
Start here:
[ http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/tech/tech.aspx ]

Truly love your Z, and she will love you :)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.